Last edited by:
Sony’s PlayStation 5 controllers have succumbed to the dreaded analog stick operation. This page covers how to identify stick drift, how to potentially fix it, and how to submit it to Sony to have the DualSense controller repaired if all else fails.
How to identify Stick Drift
Stick operation on the PS5 controller is relatively easy to identify. This is the phenomenon where one of your analog sticks moves alone, even if you do not touch the controller. This will interfere with playing games, as it will move your stick and change movement / aim etc.
How To Fix PS5 Controller Stick Operation
Sony Technical Support suggests the following steps to troubleshoot the PlayStation 5 controller. If the following does not work, contact Sony support directly to have your controller serviced.
Temporary PS5 Controller Stick Drift Fix: While obviously not ideal, some games, such as Call of Duty: Warzone, have the potential to increase “Deadzone”. This will make stick drift less likely to affect your game, but you will need to be more aware of your inputs for the controller to detect them – not good when little control is required.
PS5 Controller Stick Operation Troubleshooting Step
- Make sure your PS5 and PS5 controller are up to date:Check your controller software by pressing the PS button> open Accessories> select the PS5 wireless controller. It must be “Wireless Controller Device Software 0210”. See how to update PS5
- Reset your controller: Turn off the PS5 console. On the back of your controller there is a small hole to the right of the Sony logo. Press and hold for five seconds using a paper clip or other tool. After that it is disconnected. Turn on PS5.
- Disconnect and reconnect the controller to Bluetooth: Follow the instructions in 1 to access the controller settings. Disconnect it from Bluetooth and reconnect it.
- Adjust the triggers: Return to the controller settings and change the Trigger Effect Intensity – turn it off and then on again (or vice versa if it was already off)
- Clean the analog stick: A Sony representative recommended wiping the analog stick (the joint attached to the controller itself) with a soft, dry cloth, as a cleaning cloth for glasses. They could not recommend alcohol or cleaning solutions.
If none of this works, contact Sony. Steps below:
How to submit a PS5 controller with Stick Drift for repair
The PlayStation 5 DualSense controller is under warranty for one year after purchasing the one or PS5 it came with – as long as it is under warranty, you can contact Sony and request that your controller be serviced.
- First, make sure that you have completed the troubleshooting steps above. Your Sony representative will ask you to complete these before proceeding.
- Call (800) 345-7669. Select options: 1, then 1 again
- They will ask you to complete the steps above.
- Your representative will then provide you with the information required to submit your PS5 controller for service.
Some important notes:
- You must provide your own box and shipping cost to submit the controller.
- If the controller gets lost or disappears in shipping or by Sony, the representative said that Sony will replace it as long as you can prove that it was sent to the correct address. Then save the shipping receipt!
- It will take 7 to 10 business days for Sony to repair the controller Plus the extra time it takes for the controller to arrive at the facility and the extra delivery time it takes to return to you.