Vine co-founder Dom Hofmann said Thursday that he plans to launch a sequel to his once-very popular video-looping app next year.
Hofmann said in a tweet that the new app would be called Byte, and the goal is for the platform to be launched in spring 2019.
] When asked by a Twitter, use if the new service would be "v2" ̵1; the meaning of a follow-up of Vine – Hofmann replied: "Yes." The Vine sequel had previously been referred to as "V2" by its creator.
Details about the Vine sequel are sparse so far, with only one website that invites potential users to sign up for updates and potential content creators to join their "Creator Program." CNBC traveled to Hofmann on Twitter for a comment, but an answer was not available immediately.
As for support, Vines co-founder said his new company has funding, a team and a product behind it.
Hofmann's announcement comes more than two years after Twitter – Vine former owner – first said it would close The service was officially closed in January 2017, and the company said later that month that it had created an internet archive for people to watch Vine clips.
The service – allowing users to share six-second videos that can be viewed multiple times on a loop – was a great enabler for some of the most famous so-called social media influences, including YouTube video players Logan and Jake Paul and pop artist Shawn Mendes.
It was allegedly purchased by Twitter in October 2012 for $ 30 million, a few months before the launch. The app became very popular, once become the most downloaded free app on Apple's iOS App Store.