April Fools Day is approaching, and Verizon has willingly entered into the fight with a deal that seems too good to be true – especially for people who have a broken, useless phone. The US operator insists that from tomorrow, April 1, customers can replace an “old, cracked or water-damaged phone” for up to $ 1000 of a new 5G phone, such as an iPhone 12 or Samsung’s Galaxy S21. The promotion does not extend to phones with battery damage (for security reasons).
You get the most out of this deal if you are in another carrier and want to open a new line and port your number to the Verizon network. But current customers can also reap some savings. You can find out the value of your phone online or in any of the stores, but if you plan to visit in person, the company encourages you to make an appointment on its store search page or through the My Verizon app. The offer comes on this page from 1
So here are the nice prints (it’s a lot, but it’s worth throwing through if you think you might want to try for the deal):
- Eligibility requires upgrade, or adding a new line and porting a number to one of Verizon’s Unlimited 5G plans
- For new lines and phone number entries, or current customers porting a line from another network: You can get a $ 300 Verizon gift card for an iPhone swap, or a $ 200 card for an Android phone (sent to you within eight weeks after the transaction)
- Stacked on it for new lines and port-ins (and also applies to current customers who want to add a line but not port in a number): you get up to $ 700 in monthly credits sent your way for an iPhone trade- or up to $ 800 for a qualified Android phone (sent to you as a credit every month over a 24-month period)
- If you only upgrade your phone but only have a broken phone to shop, Verizon will give you up to $ 440 in savings
- There is no limit to the number of people per account who can trade broken phones to take advantage of the deal
- This is a limited time offer, but Verizon did not share when it ended
When all is said and done, you will eventually have a $ 300 Verizon credit in your account, and / or an additional credit that comes your way each month, which will reduce the cost of your monthly bill. It will not make the investment in buying an expensive, new 5G phone any less steep in advance, but it will soften the blow a bit by spreading the credits over time.
Verizon did not share exactly how much replacement value each phone has, but offered a list of phones that are in a “higher value” category and others that would retrieve a “lower value”.
Updated 15:00 ET: Verizon responded The Verge ‘s request for clarification on a few points, including how many can benefit from this promotion within a single account, when the promotion ends, and how the credits received will vary depending on whether you are a new or current customer.