Riot Games has been teasing the latest Valorant Agent for several weeks, and she’s finally here in the form of Astra, the galactic controller ready to wreak havoc.
Riot Games loves to tease Valorant fans. Yoru was one of the game’s most hyped agents so far, thanks to all the little excerpts that players got glimpses of online.
With small packages of information about Agent 15 that will be released throughout January, the latest addition to the list has finally been revealed.
Meet Astra, the space-themed agent from Ghana. She “utilizes the energies of the cosmos to transform the battlefields according to their whim. With full control over her astral form and a talent for deep strategic foresight, she is always forever ahead of the enemy̵
Who is Astra in Valorant?
Astra is a Controller through and through, but she has a very unique style of play and skill set. As leaks have suggested, she has the ability to release ‘Stars’ (the glowing lights we have seen hovering around Future Earth) and then manipulate them to her whim.
With Gravity Well, she draws the victims into the heart of the nearby star, which immediately explodes and applies fragility to enemies. Alternatively, she can use the flashing lights as landmines that land concussions with Nova Pulse.
It’s her Ultimate that is completely different from anything we’ve ever seen on Future Earth. Giving her the opportunity to connect two of her stars and form a bullet-blocking shield, it is safe to say that the ability is out of this world.
- Ability 1 – Gravity Well: Place stars in astral shape (X). ACTIVATE a star to form a gravity well. Players in the area are drawn towards the center before it explodes, making all players still trapped inside fragile.
- Ability 2 – Nova Pulse: Place stars in astral shape (X). ACTIVATE a star to detonate a Nova Pulse. Nova Pulse charges cards and frames, and shakes all players in the area.
- Signature Ability – Nebula: Place stars in astral shape (X). ACTIVATE a star to turn it into a nebula (smoke).
- Ability 4 – Disappear: Use (F) on a star to scatter it, and return the star to be placed in a new location after a delay. Dissipate briefly forms a false nebula in the star’s place before returning.
- Ultimate Ability – Astral Form / Cosmic Divide – ACTIVATE to enter Astral Form where you can place stars with PRIMARY FIRE. Stars can be reactivated later, transforming them into a Nova Pulse, Nebula or Gravity Well.
Once the Cosmic Divide is charged, use SECONDARY FIRE in astral form to begin aiming it, then PRIMARY FIRE to select two locations. An infinite cosmic separation connects the two points you choose. Cosmic Divide blocks balls and attenuates the sound strongly.
Grade producer John ‘Riot MEMEMEME’ Goscicki writes that “to ensure that the grounded elements were properly represented, we worked with a Ghanaian consultant on the details.”
When it comes to the design of the Astra itself, senior game designer Jordan ‘Riot Wrekz’ Anton recalls that “with the Astra, we wanted to create a controller that thought of the entire map. Her global presence was there from the very beginning. From there, the fine-tuning was to find the right abilities to balance predicting the actions of the enemies and responding to changing game conditions. ”
“We wanted her skill expression to be about gathering information and making it a plan, where the execution phase is less about targeting a grenade and more about seeing if your reading about the enemy came together as you hoped.”
On a more humorous note, Goscicki writes that “on a strange note while working on Astra’s Character Select animation, there was a day when her eyelids were broken and stretched / flew across the screen during the entire animation. This was both amazing, and disturbing at the same time. ”
Astra release date
Astra is released with Episode 2, Act 2 on March 2. She is accompanied by the new combat suit and all its cosmetic goodies. Be sure to check back with Dexerto to get the latest news on the latest addition to the Future Earth controversy.