A new update is available now for the Norse multiplayer game Valheim. Among a handful of minor changes, it makes a big change for dedicated servers and also adjusts the game balance so that the wolves are less horny.
Starting with the dedicated servers, this new update means that dedicated servers now always use direct connections instead of using the Steam Datagram Relay (SDR) system.
“This should result in much lower latency for most players,” said developer Iron Gate. “I really hope this update fixes many connectivity issues that were introduced in the updates last week (due to a socket change),”
Elsewhere, the March 2 update for Valheim includes a change that makes wolves less likely to mate. The patch notes state that the update “lowered the wolf reproduction somewhat.” The developers apparently thought there was something wrong with wolves making pups more than they should, so wolves are a little less horny now, to borrow a phrase from PCGamer.
The Valheim note also mentions some location updates, while the Bonemass enemy’s puke effect should not work properly, thank goodness. You can see the full patch notes below, as posted by Iron Gate on Steam.
Valheim has sold more than 4 million copies and reached more than 500,000 simultaneous players on Steam, making it one of the most popular games on the entire platform. In response to the huge success, developer Iron Gate is expanding its studio for five people.
Valheim March 2 updates
- Location updates
- Made Haldor swing
- Interpolation of object networks is skipped if the object was far away, solved problem with network players flying through the air as they enter dungeons and exit portals, etc.
- Added -official 1/0 flag to dedicated server again, allows players to host local LAN servers
- Join the updated IP button to allow LAN connections (dedicated servers only) and added DNS support
- Dedicated servers use directIP connection instead of SDR, solving problems with slow steam relays in some areas of the world
- Bonemass network fixing with puke effect
- Updated PDF manual for dedicated server
- Prevent retrieval when entering portals
- Lowered the wolf reproduction a bit
- Lowered chance of the chief trophy speaking
GameSpot can get commissions from retail offers.