Oliver Cragg / Android Authority
- In Seattle, a Samsung phone spontaneously burst into flames on a land plane.
- The crew had no choice but to put out evacuation slides and remove all passengers. No one was seriously injured.
- Reports indicate that the phone was a Galaxy A21.
Last night, at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, a land plane was flying with a serious problem. A fire created enough smoke for the crew to start an emergency evacuation of all passengers using inflatable slides. No one was seriously injured.
Apparently the phone exploded spontaneously and caused a small fire. The crew used a battery bag – an emergency kit on most flights – to put out the fire. At that time, however, the smoke was widespread enough that the crew considered an evacuation necessary.
The incident was handled quickly and did not adversely affect other flights that day.
There is a risk of fire and explosions with all lithium-ion batteries used in smartphones and other electronics. This should not be seen as a problem with the Galaxy A21 or any other Samsung phone. This was probably an isolated incident that simply happened at a bad time. Fortunately, no one was injured.