Sonos presents brand new Sonos Amp to drive smart home entertainment, doubles the commitment to installed solutions channel
Santa Barbara, California – August 29, 2018 – Today Sonos (Nasdaq: SONO) introduced Sonos Amp, a new Sonos Amp powerful and versatile home audio hub that drives traditional wired speakers with sound from almost any source, and fully integrates these speakers into Sonos user-friendly wireless home concept.
Amp will be available globally February 2019. New collaboration with industry leader Sonance will focus on the creation of a number of architectural speakers to complement Sonos Amp; Sonos opens the full developer platform and adds new control APIs.
Santa Barbara, California ̵
Amp is designed to fit perfectly with standard AV rack used by custom installation professionals and can power Up to four speakers with 125 watts per channel – more than enough for even the most demanding layouts. HDMI inputs and ports mean televisions, discs, CD changer and other audio components can easily be connected to Amp and become part of the Sonos system.
Amps thought-provoking and versatile hardware was built to connect Sono's software platform. New updates on the platform make it easy for installers to include Amp in integrated smart home layouts, including smart lighting and centralized management systems. It is also AirPlay 2 compliant, which means that music and other audio from any iOS device can be played wirelessly via Amp. And when wirelessly connected to an Amazon Alexa enabled device like a Sonos One or Beam, Amp can be controlled with voice commands. Finally, Amp, like other Sonos devices, will get new features, services and integrations over time through free software updates, allowing customers to get the most out of their setup in the coming years.
"The growth of Sonic Internet – The convergence between paid streaming, smart home and artificial intelligence through speech technologies drives everything we do at Sonos," said Patrick Spence, CEO of Sonos. "While plug-and-play alternatives like Sonos Beam and Sonos One is an important part of the equation, is architectural sound and makes it even easier to integrate with lighting and home control, equally important. We have listened to custom fitters and dealers to create Amp, a versatile product designed to be in the midst of the smart home theater experience. "
Sonos Amp Product Specifications:
- More power. More options. Packs 125 watts per channel, Amp amplifies even the most demanding speakers. You can now connect up to four speakers instead of two.
- New music, TV and more. Amp has an HDMI ARC port and an input for an additional audio source, whether you listen to the speakers on the floor, integrated home theater or via a disc.
- Powerful home theater audio. Use Amp to add stereo audio to TV , add wireless rears to a Sonos home theater setup or two surround sound amplifiers.
- Stream everything. Listen to music, podcasts, radio, audiobooks, and more. Also, play any music stored on a computer or other devices.
- Works with AirPlay. With Amp, use AirPlay 2 to send audio from an iPhone or iPad to all speakers in the home system.
- Select how to check. Use the Sonos app on a phone or tablet, TV remote, keyboard, AirPlay 2 or through talk with Amazon Echo and Alexa-enabled devices.
- More ways to customize your experience. New APIs and deeper integration with Sonos platform partners create seamless smart home controls.
- Wireless. Or not. Enjoy solid and reliable WiFi performance, or connect Amp to an Ethernet cable, and easily turn off Wi-Fi in the Sonos app.
- Stereo or dual mono sound. Whether you configure Amp for an open plan solution or a custom listening room, you create the best experience.
- Designed for reliability. With a centralized heatsink, air intake and a discrete output stage, Amp is built to keep it cold and deliver lasting power.
- Incredibly pure sound. Direct digital input eliminates the need for analogue conversion, so you get clear, undisturbed audio for streaming music and your TV.
- Custom speaker contacts. A pair of threaded connections for the left and right channel guarantee high performance. In addition, they are standard diamonds so you can remove them and use your own banana plugs.
Sonos and Sonance Collaborates on Architectural Sound
Sonos and Architectural Sound Director Sonance has announced a collaboration to deliver a series of three architectural speakers – in-house, thanks-and-go – that gain additional functionality through software when paired with the new Sonos Amp.
This collaboration will provide a complete offer for professionally installed architectural sound, which only allows Sonos Trueplay tuning capabilities to provide the best sound for space, as well as the benefits of Sono's software platform. These products, which will be sold and marketed by Sonos, will start in 2019.
Open Developer Platform and New Control APIs
Sonos has been a platform company since day one, with the purpose of providing customers with unrivaled freedom of choice , starting with an open approach to music services and expanding to support dozens of additional content and control partners, including multiple voice services.
Sonos will further develop the developer platform by launching all potential partners in early September, and will also add a new set of control APIs, making it easier than ever to integrate Sonos into smart homes.
The platform will continue to expand with new APIs that allow partners to innovate on their integrations with Sonos. New control APIs and features make the experience better for customers, especially those with integrated control systems, such as Control4 and Crestron.
- Line switching (for both analog and home cinema) to allow line-in components to be selected in the third-party control interface
- Volume review for easier and more predictable volume control
- The ability to add Sonos playlists in a third-party interface
- In an early preview phase, the ability to provide alerts and alerts from third-party devices, like a doorbell through Sonos speakers
Sonos will invite partners to be certified and serve "Works with Sonos " -labeled. The brand will signal to Sonos owners that companies that build and innovate on the platform provide experiences that meet Sono's highest bar of quality. For those who are interested in building on the Sonos platform, check out the developer portal.
Sonos is the leading wireless multi-room smart home sound system. As an inventor of wireless wireless home audio, Sonos innovation helps the world listen better by giving people access to the content they love and allow them to control it, but they choose. Known for delivering an outstanding music education experience, thoughtful home design capabilities, ease of use and an open platform, Sonos makes the widest range of audio content accessible to everyone. Sonos is headquartered in Santa Barbara, California. Learn more at www.sonos.com.