Niantic announced the legendary Pokémon Zacian and Zamazenta from Swords and shields will come to Pokémon Go. In normal times, this alone would be cool news! We do not live in normal times.
The raid with the two legends will take place during the last part of this year’s Ultra Unlock, which are challenges to unlock special events, between 20 August and 1 September.
It seems that the one who brought them to Pokémon Go was none other than Hoopa, who recently caused an accident during Pokémon Go Fest 2021, Niantic said in a press release. “Next to them are Skwovet, Greedent, Wooloo, Dubwool and Falinks Pokémon Go. If you are lucky, you can even find a Shiny Galarian Meowth, a Shiny Galarian Farfetch’d, a Shiny Galarian Weezing or a Shiny Galarian Stunfisk!
Just as Niantic is trying to lure players back with some monsters in the Galar region, complete with a trailer that can be seen below, the developer is still dealing with downtime from the latest update.
As Kotaku previously reported, Niantic recently removed the social distancing feature from the game, which means players need to get closer to spinning Pokéstops or fighting in gyms. The smaller radius means that people have to gather closer to each other, with some players saying that they have to get even closer than the pre-pandemic. As cases rise in the United States and vaccinated people are asked to disguise themselves, the removal of this feature seems ignorant of reality. Maybe it’s better in Galar? Hope it!
Many fans feel that Niantic is not listening to them, thus forcing this boycott. When Niantic announced the fancy new monsters on Twitter yesterday, players used the hashtag #BoycottNiantic to show their displeasure. The responses to the first tweet are filled with players who say they are dissatisfied and do not want to play the game. Some seemed to feel that these Ultra Unlock monsters were just a way for Niantic to get players back after their controversial decision to change distances without having to address the actual issue.
All of this dampens something that should be a very cool announcement, with some players feeling that Niantic at best ignores their requests and at worst puts players at risk. These new fancy monsters get lost in the controversy, pushed aside while the battle points are brought into sharp focus.
According to Reddit, the boycott will start on August 5 and has been called “Pokémon No Day.” Will any of this matter? Will players actually boycott Pokémon Go?
“I will definitely make some changes,” YouTuber The Trainer Club said in a video yesterday.
Earlier this summer, when the changes were first announced, YouTuber asked Niantic to reconsider. But what about today’s boycott?
“I will definitely aim to send a message. I’m going to stop playing Pokémon Go? More than likely, probably not. “