Microsoft just unveiled a whole host of promising new indie games during the ID @ Xbox Showcase, and one of the most colorful and interesting looks was No Save the World from Guacamelee developer DrinkBox Studios. At first glance, the game may look like just another dungeon RPG, albeit one with a fine art style, but DrinkBox does some fun things to mix the formula. First, you will eventually be able to freely switch between 1
Looks like a lot of fun. Need to know more? Here is the official description for Nobody Saves the World via the game’s Steam page …
From the developers of Guacamelee! 1 + 2 comes Nobody Saves The World, a new twist on Action RPGs, where you play many different character forms, each with its own unique game mechanics. Complete quests to discover and switch between 15+ varied and distinct forms. Mix and match abilities in unique and interesting ways to find and complete even more difficult missions, and unlock more powerful forms. Explore a vast upper world, and clear procedurally generated dungeons in an attempt to repel Calamity and Save the World!
- You are nobody – Like Nobody (yes, you play as a character named Nobody), you will find a magic wand that allows you to switch to different forms to clear dungeons, solve puzzles and complete missions!
- Questing, not grinding – Player progression and new abilities are achieved exclusively by completing quests, not by defeating monsters. Missions range from “Complete a Dungeon”, to “Poison Baddies”, to “Cheer up a fellow rabbit-lover”.
- Assignments unlock new forms – Level up and unlock new forms by completing quests. Each new form has specific strengths and weaknesses and new abilities to experiment with.
- Combine shaping abilities – Customize your forms by equipping abilities from other forms: Mix and match abilities in fun and unexpected ways!
- Evolving dungeons – As you get stronger, procedurally generated dungeons will increase in difficulty and complexity to keep you on your toes!
No one saves the world on PC, Xbox One and Xbox Series X / S “soon-ish.”