Earlier this year, Mojang announced that they would split the upcoming Minecraft Caves & Cliffs update into two parts, mostly in line with “new world generation” and “everything else”. Complete rewriting of how the world is built is, after all, a monumental task.
The Caves & Cliffs update part one rolled out on the Switch in June, bringing axolotls, goats, glowing squid and a number of new blocks, including copper and powder snow. Update two is due in the “holiday season”, so some time towards the end of 2021. In the meantime, Caves & Cliffs is leaking something down to the bedrock version that watered down a stalactite, and the latest addition is candles.
This is how Minecraft̵
- Made with honeycomb and string
- Comes with 16 colored types and a yellowish non-colored type
- Can be ignited by all objects that cause a fire
- Up to 4 can be placed in a block, similar to sea cucumbers, for a maximum light level of 12
- Only candles of the same color can be placed on the same block
- Only one can be placed on an uneaten cake and lit.
- If any of the cake is consumed, the light bounces off
If you are a fan of decorating houses in Minecraft, you will love this one.
In slightly less exciting news, a few bug fixes and general quality changes have been added, including some changes to the texture of blocks to match the Java Edition, improved replacement in Bastion chests, and adjustments to how the new bullies work. Axolotls has new hit boxes and a more convincing “play dead” animation, and goats have reduced fall injuries.
There are also some new splash texts on the game screen:
- “[this splash text has been delayed until part 2]”
- “Contains simulated goats!”
- “It is
- “The cutest predator you will ever meet!”
- “Now you think with stamps!”
- “Come to the cup!”
- “Board game version is also available!”
- “Dear, I grew the copper!”
- “Plant-based light sources!”
- “Made of” real “people!”
Update 1.17.10 is available right now, so get light!
Which Caves & Cliffs update is the best so far? Let us know your thoughts in the comments!