Playground Games just finished its third “Let’s Go!” power that covers Forza Horizon 5, and the focus today was on sound and car sounds. Engine sounds have always been important to the Forza community, and the Forza Horizon 4 was unfortunately criticized for its often disappointing car sounds. I FH5 lover Playground gigantic improvements, and everything we heard during today’s stream seems to support these promises. You can see the stream below, or get an overview of all the biggest points that were covered.
Some of the promised sound enhancements in Forza Horizon 5 from Playground Games include:
- Massive improvements and changes in car engine sounds. One of the biggest points of contention for Forza Horizon 4, major changes are coming to car sounds in the FH5. There is seriously a lot that was discussed, including:
- Over 320 brand new car recordings on top of the existing library
- Granular synthesis technique used in 1
- Billyd goes at all times at 90 FPS
- New modular system can intelligently determine engine type and subtract from existing pool to provide unique sounds for each car and its upgrades, including for turbochargers, compressors, gearboxes and engine upgrades
- Even tire sounds have been upgraded, with different sounds for each car and tire type
- Ray-tracked sound in the world. FH5 uses sound tracking for sound to map exactly how sounds (including car sounds) bounce off environments, such as walls, roofs, buildings and more. This provides location-accurate reverberation and echo.
- Radiation tracking occlusion lets the game know where each car is around the player, so you can find exactly where engine sounds are coming from
- Can hear engine upgrades in real time. FH5 lets you hear changes in how your car sounds in real time when you upgrade it with new engine upgrades, including intake, camshafts, engine replacements and even exhaust.
- Improvements to first-person sound. FH5’s new modular technology makes it possible to improve the car sound even when you are in the first person, and can accurately track reverberation and how your car sounds.
- Convertibles also benefit from this, with completely different first-person soundscapes, depending on whether the top is up or down
- All cars benefit from improvements. Whether you drive alone, play multiplayer or drive, all cars benefit from all these sound enhancements (superior recording, modular system and beam tracking).
- Forza Horizon 5 Sounds Better on Xbox Series X | S. It was also confirmed by Playground that FH5 will sound better when played on Xbox Series X | S, thanks to a new compression format that provides sound with louder sound. These improvements apply to everyone sounds and music, not just car noise.
Playground also confirmed that the outdated “dyno” method used by many other games (which record car sounds in a studio-like environment) was completely retired in FH5 due to the inherent limitations. This method really only registers the car’s acceleration and nothing else. Playground picks up each car while you are out on a track to capture exactly what it sounds like when you drive.
VPN Offer: $ 16 Lifetime License, $ 1 monthly plans and more
Some other details were confirmed during the stream, including:
- The biggest launch car ever. Forza Horizon 5 will apparently have the biggest driver at the launch of any Forza Horizon game yet, which is exciting to think about. You can bookmark our complete Forza Horizon 5 driver list to stay up to date.
- Improved physics in cars. Car physics are improved in Forza Horizon 5, at least when it comes to sound. Drivetrain flex, (read: car wobbling) is back and improved, and will match car sounds and engine upgrades.
- Over 500 new engine replacements. We already knew that the FH5 will include thousands of new performance upgrades, but now we know that this also includes over 500 new engine replacements. Playground wants to ensure that your car will always sound unique and realistic, so it added lots of new options to replace your engine (these upgrades are contextual and car specific).
It concluded with this info-packed Forza Horizon 5 stream. There was certainly a lot to cover here, and the improvements that were detailed are definitely promising. We also heard a lot of this in action during the stream, so be sure to check it out if you want to check for yourself. Playground has already confirmed that the next Forza Horizon 5 stream coming in a few weeks will detail the world in Mexico and the 11 different biomes in the game. A more distant current will begin to dive deep into the FH5 motorist.
Forza Horizon 5 officially arrives on Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One, PC, Xbox Game Pass and Xbox Cloud Gaming on November 9, 2021, with pre-orders now available. If you want to stay up to date with everything happening with the FH5, check out our ultimate guide to Forza Horizon 5. If Forza Horizon 5 delivers even half of its promise, it’s surely one of the best Xbox racing games you can play.
A catalog of games
Xbox Game Pass Ultimate
All your gaming needs, in one subscription.
Is Xbox Game Pass Ultimate the best value in all games? It is possible. Ultimate packs your Xbox Live Gold subscription, an Xbox Game Pass subscription for both Xbox consoles and Windows PCs, and Xbox Cloud Gaming for the go. That means access to hundreds of games, with more added all the time, for a single monthly subscription fee.
We can earn a commission on purchases using our links. Learn more.