The battery of an iPad exploded inside Apple's Amsterdam store on Sunday afternoon, and the fire service had evacuated so that the dangerous substances that could have been released into the air would disappear.
No one was injured during the event, except for three Apple employees who may have inhaled any of these drugs.
The store was closed for proper ventilation, Dutch blog iCulture reports. The tablet was placed inside a sandy box and did not get a fire. There was also no smoke, writes the report.
It's not uncommon for electronics powered by batteries to fire, and Apple's devices are not spared. We have seen cases of random iPhone batteries explode or swell up, and that's something you can not prevent no matter how careful you are with your devices.
The Amsterdam explosion is also an isolated event so you should not worry about iPad battery security. It's unclear what caused it and whether this was an iPad on-screen in the store, or a device brought in for repairs.
The only time we had experienced a serious battery problem with a mobile device was two years ago when Samsung Galaxy Note 7 continued to burst into flames left and right. This prompted the Korean company to revoke the phone and eventually stop it. Since then, Samsung has significantly improved battery quality assurance and no events were reported with Samsung devices. But the entire Note 7 failure probably puts Samsung competitors on alert, including Apple, that the battery design and size would not come with similar side effects.