Google recently unveiled a list of new Google Maps features Android and iOS users get this year. The first is indoor AR directions for Map Live View mode, which is now rolling out in select US cities.
Google says Live View̵
Live View gives you indoor AR directions at select transit stations, airports, malls and more. However, at launch, the feature only works for a few shopping malls in the following cities:
- Long island
- Los Angeles
- San Francisco
- San Jose
Shopping malls, airports and transport centers in Tokyo and Zurich will be added in the coming months. Google plans to support even more sites in the future, but has not provided specific cities or a release schedule.
For now, if you are in one of the few places that support function, drag up Google Maps and press “Live view” the icon to start using the AR direction indoors, or look up the directions to the destination and select “Start AR.” The app will guide you to your destination using arrows and waypoint markers.
Google also announced several other Google Maps features to be launched in the coming months:
- New weather and air quality layers for the map screen, launch in Australia, India and the United States in the coming months.
- Fuel efficient route optimization. Launches in U.S. this year, and scheduled a global release later.
- Alerts when driving through low emission zones. France, Germany, the Netherlands, Spain and the United Kingdom will not receive the function until June, followed by several countries later.
- A new transport option in the direction menu, scheduled for global release this year.
- A grocery retrieval tool for selected stores. The first pilot will take place this summer in Portland, Oregon, and will include selected Fred Meyer stores.
You can read more about indoor directions and all the others recently announced features in Google’s blog post.