The first beta version of iOS 14.5 offers a number of new features, but there is also a pleasant surprise hidden in the release for Spotify users. Stay tuned to make Spotify the iPhone standard when using Siri. We will also cover how to install free public iOS 14.5 beta.
The most notable new feature that comes with the first developer and public beta of iOS 14.5 is support for Apple Watch to unlock the iPhone when using a mask. However, another feature that went under the radar of some Reddit users noticed is the ability to set Spotify as the iPhone default when using Siri.
We have previously seen support arrive for Siri to play music when using commands such as “play Cage the Elephant on Spotify.”
For a tutorial on how to get free public iOS 14.5 beta, check out our review:
Curiously, there is no option in Settings> Music (or Settings> Spotify) to set it as the iOS default as we have seen with email and browser apps. We need to see if Apple adds such a switch for the standard music cap in future beta or public releases.
The consistency of Siri using a third-party music service by iOS standard seems a bit buggy for now in the first iOS 14.5 beta, so remember YMMV.
How to make Spotify for iPhone by default with iOS 14.5 beta
- Make sure you are running iOS 14.5 beta (public or dev) on your iPhone or iPad
- Ask Siri to play an artist / song / album
- Look for a new popup to choose which service you want to use
- Tap Yes to let Siri access data on Spotify (or another app)
- Your music should start playing
- When you work, future requests to play music via Siri should use Spotify or the service you chose, but it is still buggy and inconsistent for some, so your mileage may vary
Take a closer look at 9to5Mac’s practical review from Jeff Benjamin here:
Read more 9to5Mac tutorials:
FTC: We use auto affiliate links. More.
Check out 9to5Mac on YouTube for more Apple news: