Apple in July 2021 began offering beta firmware for AirPods Pro, with the software available to Apple Developer program members.
The AirPods Pro firmware beta is limited to developers and is quite difficult to install, with an installation guide available below.
Note: Installing the firmware in an unauthorized manner may put AirPods Pro in a unusable state that requires out-of-warranty repair, so non-developers should not attempt to install the software.
Install AirPods Pro firmware profile on iPhone
- Go to the Apple Developer website on your iPhone, sign in and navigate to the download section.
- Tap the carrot in the upper right corner, then tap “More”.
- Scroll down to “AirPods Pro beta” and tap “View details.”
- Touch the iOSAirPodsProSeed.mobileconfig configuration profile.
- Press “Allow” to install it and select iPhone.
- Open the Settings app and tap “Download profile”, then tap “Install” and enter your password.
- Press “Install” again, then press “Done”.
Connect AirPods Pro to iPhone
- With AirPods Pro near iPhone, open the AirPods Pro case.
- IrAirPods Pro must be automatically connected to iPhone.
Use Xcode to allow AirPods Pro to receive beta software
- Make sure you have the latest beta version of Xcode installed. It can be downloaded from the Apple Developer website.
- After installing the warAirPods Pro firmware configuration profile and then connecting the PAirPods Pro to the iPhone, connect the iPhone to a Mac with the correct USB to Lightning cable.
- Launch the Xcode beta app. In fact, you do not need to do anything with the Xcode app beyond opening it.
- On iPhone, open the Settings app, click on the Developer section and select Pre-Release Beta Firmware.
- Locate Pairpodspro.dll-associated program (eg. IrAirPods Pro) under the list of paired devices.
- Tap to turn on automatic beta software updates for the correct AirPods Pro in the list.
Install Beta Firmware
After tapping to turn on software updates, tap “Agree” to accept Apple’s legal form of consent. From there, AirPods Pro will be ready to receive firmware.
Firmware installation is not automatically, and it may take up to 24 hours for beta firmware to be installed on AirPods Pro after selecting.
To get the firmware to install, Apple says that AirPods should be connected to iPhone and then the hinge should be closed to trigger the update.
You can check if AirPods Pro has been updated with the new firmware by connecting them, tapping the “Bluetooth” section in the Settings app and pressing the “i” button. The number below the version will tell you which update you have installed.
Remove AirPods Pro firmware
- Open the Settings app.
- Touch General.
- Touch “Profiles and Device Management.”
- Touch “PAirPods Pro Firmware Profile.”
- Press “Remove profile.”
When you uninstall the profile, AirPods Pro will not receive new beta software updates, but will continue to have beta software installed until the next version of nonbeta software is available.
AirPods firmware alerts
After installing beta firmware on AirPods Pro, there is no way to downgrade to a version of firmware.
Apple says that once the irAirPods Pro firmware is installed, it is important not to put outdated earphones in the charging case because they can be updated with the firmware.
As mentioned above, Apple also warns that attempts to install AirPods Pro firmware in an unauthorized manner may put AirPods in an unusable state, which will require out-of-warranty repair.