Valheim catches fire as the latest survival sensation on Steam – and only in Early Access!
To play online, you have a few options – including hosting your own multiplayer lobby with friends, and creating a dedicated Valheim server.
How to create a dedicated Valheim server or host multiplayer games with friends.
How to host Valheim multiplayer
To play Valheim online with a small group of friends, you do not have to go the extra mile to host a dedicated Valheim server.
This is how you simply arrange a multiplayer game in Valheim for your friends.
- Create your world (and pair it with a random or custom seed)
- Go to the Start World tab, select the Start Server and Community Server options
- Fill in with the server’s password and press start
READ MORE: How to farm in Valheim
Valheim dedicated servers
Valheim servers have a password system by default, which means that they are not traditional public servers.
Instead, players must find Valheim servers, or create their own.
With this in mind, here’s how to host a Valheim dedicated server.
READ MORE: How to play with friends in Valheim
How to host a dedicated Valheim server
To create a Valheim server for online multiplayer with friends, you must go through the following steps:
- Select the machine you want to host your dedicated Valheim server on
- Through Steam, find Valheim Dedicated Server in your library (you must first turn on Tools) and then install it
- Locate the folder where you installed Valheim Dedicated Server (default is: Program Files (x86)> Steam> steamapps> common> Valheim Dedicated Server)
- Go to line 7, where you will see a line beginning with “start valheim_server”
- Edit the following (if it has not already been changed to your information):
- name “My server”
- Add what you want the Valheim server to be called (do not name the same as your world name, and vice versa)
- -port 2456
- Change this to your port forwarding standard (see Router Settings)
- -world “Dedicated”
- Add what you want your Valheim world to be called (do not give the same name as your world name, and vice versa)
- password “secret”
- Add what you want the Valheim server password to be. If you want a public server that is open to everyone, you can leave this field blank instead
- name “My server”
- Upload your server, fire up Valheim, and start playing!
READ MORE: Every weapon in Valheim
Valheim dedicated server system requirements
There are no hard and fast rules for hosting a Valheim-dedicated server when it comes to what your computer needs.
However, there are some recommendations, such as having a strong CPU to handle constant load.
If you have a powerful PC, you will probably be able to run your dedicated Valheim server on it while playing the game, just remember if you are experiencing issues, the server will crash for everyone else.
If not, you can run your dedicated Valheim server on another PC instead, just make sure it stays on and running for the server to be open.
READ MORE: How to summon Valheim’s first boss – Eikthyr