Genshin Impact was a landmark game for 2020, and for global awareness of Chinese-developed video games. The impressive graphics, the convincing fantasy world and the charming characters impressed and attracted millions of players.
While the game had an exciting launch, gacha games are usually designed to have a long life. Only two of the seven planned regions have been released, and the developers have promised several years of main assignment content. The game continues to praise for its powerful updates, and it shows no signs of diminishing in quality. Let’s see how far Genshin Impact has been the last six months:
- The official Genshin Impact webcomic was first uploaded to Webtoon on November 23, 2018.
- The Genshin Impact video games were announced at E3 2019, which it compared with Breath of the Wild.
- In August 2019, Sony announced it Genshin Impact will be available on PlayStation. Several participants in ChinaJoy, the largest game show in Asia, were outraged that the game appeared to be a “clone” of Breath of the Wild. A man even shattered PlayStation 4 in protest.
- September 18 developer miHoYo announced it Genshin Impact will not host Huawei and Xiaomi app stores, most likely in protest of their 50% income tax. Analysts compared the ongoing feud between Epic Games and US mobile app distributors.
- Genshin Impact was released for PC, mobile and PlayStation 4 September 28, 2020. Over 20 million players pre-registered. Its launch day viewers on Twitch even surpassed Fortnite. Players could try their luck by pulling for the Anemo archer Venti on Balled in cup banner, which was the first limited wish in the game.
- Dress banner was released on October 20th. Her very harmful Pyro explosives made her a standout device on the Sparkling Steps banner.
- Youtuber which Mtashed and Tectone spend thousands of dollars on Genshin Impact, with varying takeaways about the gacha systems. Does or does whaling on camera help or hurt game audiences? These are old questions that have been debated to death among gacha players, however Genshin is widespread popularity led these issues to greater public scrutiny.
- Players would have met the handsome Fatui agent in the main mission, but Tartaglia became available on the November-limited banner Goodbye from Snezhnaya, along with Diona, Beidou and Ningguang.
- A content update called “A new star is approaching” (Version 1.1) arrived on November 11, 2020. It added a city reputation system to Mondstadt and Liyue, in addition to the seasonal event “Unreconciled Stars.” Players could earn a copy of the Electro archer Fischl by completing the event, which largely included collaborative challenges.
- miHoYo released the first Genshin browser games, called Stone Harbor Treasure Journal. It was a visual novel style game where the player completed quests with either Zhongli or Childe to earn the meal card.
- November 19 at Genshin Impacthis Facebook account posted that the company had sued two beta testers for breach of the confidentiality agreement. This would not be the last time the company took a public stance against leaks.
- December marked the beginning of Zhongli’s banner, Gentry of Hermitage.
- In December 2020, miHoYo quietly fixed a loophole that made it possible to see the player’s email addresses in public. Many players had their accounts hacked, and the company refused to give a refund.
- Following Genshin Impact“Best Game of 2020” winner in both the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store, miHoYo leaders announced their intention to create one Genshin the IP of the universe.
- A bilibili content creator named 影视 飓风 recreated the fantasy city of Liyue as a diorama, which took over a thousand hours to build. It’s quite impressive, considering that he did not have the 3700 years Rex Lapis had to build the city in the game.
- Many Chinese players were hugely disappointed with Zhongli’s viability as a playable device, and the most dissatisfied players protested by mass-collecting paper copies of the invoices.
- Version 1.2 of the game was released on December 23, which added to the Dragonspine region, along with a new item domain. The update also included “The Chalk Prince and the Dragon”, which was a time-limited event where players could battle collaborations and solo battles for items and upgrades. Players who were impressed with Albedo’s history could try to draw for him in the accompanying Secretum Secretorum banner.
- At the end of December 2020, miHoYo agreed to improve Zhongli’s skills in response to social media feedback. Gacha characters usually improve when they surpass the meta, so changing Zhongli several weeks after launch was a very unusual move by miHoYo.
- Ganyu was also part of the 1.2 update, but her banner (Drive in the harbor) would not be released until mid-January.
- miHoYo released a browser game called Slime Paradise, which was very similar Neko Atsume in content and appearance. Players could log on every day to collect gold, which they could use to purchase accessories. This accessory will generate tickets, which can then be exchanged for materials in the base Genshin Impact game.
- A Reddit user called thelightomelette created Ventis lyra of real walnut wood. I hope it is more durable than the lyre in the game.
- The Lantern Rite Festival event (based on Chinese New Year) was launched in February 2021 as part of 1.3 update, and it included one tower defense game called Theater mechanic. The players could not deal with direct damage, but they used various towers and environmental artifacts to defend portals. Lucky players could also get hold of the pole arm user Xiao in Invitation to modern life banner.
- The official Chinese voice actors for Klee, Venti, Xiao and Qiqi collaborated on a Genshin Impact fanvideo. “Let the wind tell you” collected over 2.6 million views on Youtube, and was sung entirely in Mandarin.
- miHoYo changed Barbara’s voting direction in the 1.3 update, which made some people notice that her new behavior is too gloomy. Several players illegally harassed Lauren Stahl about the changes.
- In March 2021, one KFC x Genshin Impact cooperation was announced. Diners could get an exclusive pin, stickers and items in the game for the meal. Several events were canceled when crowds violated Chinese coronavirus guidelines.
- Hu Tao arrived in early March as part of Moment of Bloom banner.
- A repetition of Slime Paradise online games were announced in late March. This time it would be too available on PlayStation 4.
- miHoYo threatened to crack down on closed beta testers like leak content from the upcoming 1.5 update. Data miners revealed the possibility of a new boss and a housing system.
- A new Genshin online games were announced in mid-March. The players could make dishes in Welcome to Wanmin and receive them on the main account.
- The 1.4 update paid attention Invitation to Windblume event, where players can enjoy a variety of mini-games. The new update also added “Hangout Events”, a visual novel event that gave players the opportunity to spend time with Noelle, Chongyun, Bennett and Barbara.
And that’s where things are at. Genshin Impact has earned over $ 1 billion in the first six months, and shows no signs of stopping. Due to its enormous growth and popularity, Genshin Impact will undoubtedly have a strong influence on other live service games. I was particularly excited about how mini-games and experimental online games were tied to the main content. The game has a bold, remorseful anime art style that does not shy away from its own ACG (anime, comics and games) influences. These additions appeal to players who are commonly seen as “informal” and “untraditional” in the Anglosphere despite their huge numbers in the gaming market. Genshin ImpactThe success has shown that these players are a significant audience that deserves to be taken seriously.
Sisi Jiang is a game designer who prefers to make games rather than write about them.