The next major Final Fantasy XIV expansion, titled Endwalker, will be launched later this year, but before then, Square Enix will set the stage with a major two-part update. Today during the latest “Letter from the Producer” stream with Naoki Yoshida, new details were revealed about update 5.5, which will include a new entry in the NieR-inspired “YoRHa: Dark Apocalypse” raid series, new story missions, rehearsals an additional dungeon, design and Explorer mode updates and more. Some more details about the PS5 version of Final Fantasy XIV, which will be released in open beta along with patch 5.5, were also revealed. You can check out a new trailer for Final Fantasy XIV patch 5.5 “Death Unto Dawn,” below.
Here is everything you can expect from Final Fantasy XIV patch 5.5:
- New main scenario assignments – The prospect of peace may soon be dashed, as the Fandaniel and Telophoroi scheme to recreate the last days, and ominous towers rise in all corners of the empire. When the servants of chaos gather at every turn, will the Scions uncover their plot before it’s too late?
- New Alliance Raid: The Tower at Paradigm’s Breach – The third chapter in the NieR-inspired YoRHa: Dark Apocalypse alliance raid series.
- “Sorrow of Werlyt” Questline Finale With adamantine armor and a throbbing, blood-red core, Diamond Weapon is the culmination of countless victims and countless afflictions. When the final triumph of the VIIth Legion’s monstrous weapons project comes over Werlyt, who will be saved and who will fall?
- New trial version: Cloud Deck – Players can face the fearsome Diamond Weapon in this latest trial, which will be available in both normal and extreme difficulty.
- New dungeon: Paglth’an – Players can tackle this new dungeon with other adventurers or a party of non-player characters via Trust System compatibility.
- “Save the Queen” Questline Update – This latest update includes a new field area, “Zadnor”, an increased resistance framework, final improvement of resistance weapons and more.
- New unreal sample – The next upstart, Leviathan, is back from A Realm Reborn to terrorize level 80 heroes, giving them a hefty challenge and chances for unique rewards.
- Crafter updates High-level artisans can look forward to new content in Patch 5.5 that will give them special achievements and unique hand tools.
- Ishgard Restoration Update – When a new era begins in Ishgard, luminaires from all over Eorzea have been invited to the Firmament to participate in a ceremony commemorating this significant occasion. Players can be rewarded by attending collector and craft-focused events that will take place during these periodic celebrations.
- “Explorer Mode” update – The Explorer mode feature expands to include level 70 dungeons. Explorer mode allows players to explore dungeons without the risk of capturing striking and fun screens while enabling the use of fasteners and handrails. Players will now be able to use performance actions while in dungeons, such as playing musical instruments.
- Performance updates – A new instrument is added with Patch 5.55.
- Job adjustments for PvE and PvP actions, new custom deliveries, new mounts and more.
As mentioned, Square Enix also revealed more details about the PS5 version of Final Fantasy XIV – in addition to 4K support and higher frame rates, Square Enix also promises full haptic feedback from the DualSense controller, 3D sound and a new set of trophies. You can check out some first footage from FF14 on the screen of the PS5 via the manufacturer’s livestream below.
Final Fantasy XIV is now available on PC and PS4. PS5 open beta and the first part of patch 5.5 will come on April 13. The Endwalker expansion is scheduled to fall sometime this fall.