A former Blizzard developer has discussed Diablo 2’s unreleased second expansion.
This expansion was just designed and never produced, said David Brevik, co-founder and president of the defunct studio Blizzard North, on Twitter this weekend.
Yes, somehow … it was just designed, never produced. I had a multi-page design document that went over new classes, new areas, new mechanics and history concepts. That’s how far it came. https://t.co/l8xHYOF6z5
̵1; David Brevik (@davidbrevik) February 13, 2021
“I had a multi-page design document that went over new classes, new areas, new mechanics and history concepts,” Brevik revealed. “That’s so far it came.”
Diablo 2, currently set for a remaster, was launched in June 2000 and met with critical and commercial acclaim. A hugely successful expansion, Lord of Destruction, was launched a year later. The introduction to Lord of Destruction is below:
Diablo 2 and Lord of Destruction performed absolutely well enough to justify a new expansion, but it never came out. Now, 20 years later, Brevik talks about what happened.
Brevik said he designed this second expansion about six to twelve months before leaving Blizzard North. “This is one of the reasons it was never made,” he said. “That was before update 1.10 (in terms of timeline). We were also working on our version of Diablo 3 at the time, plus another unannounced project.”
Blizzard North worked on a Diablo 3 which was eventually shelved and restarted by Blizzard Entertainment. Brevik, along with other key Blizzard North employees, left to start Flagship Studios. It was an emigration that involved around 30 people who left, and resulted in Diablo 2’s second expansion falling along the way. Blizzard North was closed in 2005.
Back in 2016, Brevik tweeted to say that one of the new classes that would have been added to Diablo 2 with this expansion was a clergy class, which would not necessarily have been a healer.
It was just a class (that I can remember). It was a clergy class, I think. https://t.co/qqp2JnYWqo
– David Brevik (@davidbrevik) November 14, 2016
An excerpt from Stay Awhile and Listen: Book 2 by author David Craddock, released to Shacknews in 2012, also contains some information about the expansion. According to Craddock, the second expansion would have expanded Diablo 2’s multiplayer features. Background artist David Glenn built the guild hall for groups of players who wanted to start their own clan. Players would have been able to meet in these guild halls to run quests.
“A cool guild hall feature was Stieg Stone, a stone named after designer Stieg Hedlund where clan members could deposit money,” Craddock wrote.
“At certain stages, they wanted to unlock new guild hall rooms and various equipment for the clan’s pad. After some brainstorming, the team decided not to follow up on the expansion. Diablo 2 had taken its course; it was time to build Diablo 3.”
It sounds like Brevik has more on this unannounced second expansion for Diablo 2, but is reluctant to talk about it “since Blizzard owns the rights and I’m not sure what I can say”.
“They might want to use it one day,” he tweeted.
As for the Diablo 3 Blizzard North that was being worked on before it was closed, Brevik said it “would have been very different from any Diablo”.
“I think it was very interesting,” he tweeted. “We used a lot of the game structure concepts for Marvel Heroes. I was an ARPG + MMO. MMO for a lot of people playing at once, not like WoW. It was scrapped because most of BlizNo was left.”
Meanwhile, Brevik was asked if Diablo 4 sounds like this Diablo 2 expansion. Here is his answer:
– David Brevik (@davidbrevik) February 14, 2021
Blizzard is set to host a “Diablo: What’s Next?” panel at BlizzCon this week. Keep your eyes open.
UPDATE: This article erroneously claimed that Diablo 2’s unreleased second expansion was planned as an ARPG + MMO. We have edited the headline and copy to reflect the fact Brevik’s comment related to Blizzard Nord’s unreleased Diablo 3. We apologize for the error, and apologize for the confusion.