Epic Games has taken yet another staff at Valve's Steam after the launch of the Epic Games Store.
Epic will allow developers to use their Cross-Platform Online Services that were originally crafted for Fortnite in 2019. Check out the full blog post below for more details.
This technology was derived from Fortnite and presents huge opportunities that could have direct effects on Fortnite itself. With a large amount of new developers using the services we will see many improvements reflected in Fortnite.
By Epic Games Staff
Successfully launching and operating a live, online game requires a suite of services that go beyond the functionality of a traditional game engine.
At Epic, our goal is to help the game, and it's time to build, test and cure in real-world conditions. Developers succeed. Throughout 201
All services will be operated in a privacy-friendly, GDPR-compliant manner. [Asadeveloperyouarefreetochoosemix-and-matchsolutionsfromEpicandothers
Epic's Online Services
The service launch will begin with a C SDK encapsulating our online services, together with Unreal Engine and Unity integrations. We will start with a core set of features and expand over time. Specifically:
- Cross-Platform Login, Friends, Presence, Profile, and Entitlements (coming Q2-Q3 2019 to PC, other platforms throughout 2019): Provides the core functionality for persistently recognizing players across multiple sessions and devices; identifying friends; and managing free and paid item entitlements. This will support all 7 major platforms (PC, Mac, iOS, Android, PlayStation, Xbox, Switch) to the full extent each platform allows per-title.
- PC / Mac Overlay API (coming Q3 2019): Provides a user interface for login, friends, and other features in a game agnostic, engine-agnostic way.
- Cross-Platform Voice Comms (coming Q3 2019 to all platforms): Epic is building a new in- game voice communications service supporting all platforms, all stores, and all engines, which will be available for free . (For developers needing an immediately available voice solution, check out Discord, Vivox, TeamSpeak, Ventrilo, and Mumble.)
- Cross-Platform Parties and Matchmaking (coming Q3-4 2019 to all platforms)
- Cross-Platform Data Storage, Cloud-Saved Games (coming Q2 2019)
- Cross-Platform Achievements and Trophies (coming Q3 2019)
The services described above are just our first steps.
Reliability [Search Results] Reliability
We operate our services primarily on Amazon Web Services data centers throughout the world to bring the high reliability and wide international reach required by the next generation of online and socially-connected games. Connecting People
We connect developers and players across all platforms, and respect existing platform relationships and player accounts. For example, Fortnite runs on 7 platforms that are fully interoperable; The game requires no login on console, and supports multi-platform login via Facebook, Google, Xbox Live, PSN, and Nintendo accounts, in addition to Epic accounts; and supports Twitch account linking.
Besides these existing account and service integrations, we are eager to work with partners on further efforts to connect accounts, gaming services, and cloud services for a more seamless experience.
Stay tuned for more information over the next few months.