I have spent the last week at a festival (it slowly comes back to me what this is), and in a change to the typical British summer – a little less rain than in winter – it has been hot.
Som 30 ºC. And it’s outside. Get into a vehicle or building and it can be much hotter.
While I was at the festival relaxing with my drone (it’s quite convenient, albeit noisy, fan), a guy came up to me to ask if I knew what was happening to his phone.
It was not phone-shaped anymore.
And it was blisteringly hot to the touch.
Must read: These three simple tips will protect your iPhone from hackers
At first I thought it might have been a case of a battery going into thermal escape, but when I talked to the guy, things got clearer.
He had left his phone ̵
That was the end of the road for this iPhone.
Now, the weird thing is that it’s not uncommon to see phones in holders stuck in the car window in the summer and baking away.
And it’s not just while the car is stationary – a phone in the window can get hot while the car is running, unless you have it in the airflow directly.
But leaving them there to bake inside a hot car is not good for the battery. In fact, overheating a handset – and remembering that most of the time phones are in holders today, they also charge – is a sure way to wear out batteries.
Over the past few weeks, I’ve seen or heard of half a dozen dead phones and a couple of GPS receivers in the car that gave up the ghost in the heat. The heat is not only brutal for the batteries, but it can also damage the screens.
It’s not just a problem in the car. It is just as much a problem at home or in the office.
And it’s not just a problem for phones. It is not advisable to bake anything that contains a battery you care about.
Here’s my rule of thumb: If your phone feels warm to the touch, you can find a cooler place for it. The battery can work well in the summer while it is warmer, but it is winter time that people see the side effects of battery degradation when the smartphones start to show reduced battery life.
If the phone is too hot to touch, remove it, remove it from any case, turn it off, and allow it to cool.
And find a better place for it in the car, at home or in the office.