I think the general consensus for Destiny 2’s Season of the Chosen is that it’s starting pretty strong. Maybe not necessarily with the activities, as Battlegrounds are nice, but nothing particularly groundbreaking. But definitely when it comes to looting, with lots of new, good things to go for and a wide range of places to find them.
We know a certain amount about what comes this season from the roadmap. Two new battlefields and a new strike, but also a promised Tex Mechanica “redacted”
The only thing that has been revealed publicly about the exotic quest is that it has something to do with the ship seen below, when it was marked as part of the “exotic quest” in the press kit. But that’s it, there are no other public details from Bungie itself.
But I would actually get into data memory today, because I think it’s going to generate a significant amount of hype if you at least know the rough edges of what’s going on here. If you prefer to know nothing, I understand, and you can return now. I will not go into the spoilers of the story, but I will talk about the nature of the mission to come, and what you get for doing it.
This information comes from the Bungie API and people like Ginsor and Parisito. Here are the rough outlines of what we know about the mission:
- The headline is that allegedly the upcoming Tex Mechanica mission may be something on the scale of the Whisper mission or Zero Hour. Although the Hawkmoon dam farm had some elements of it, there were still mostly existing areas we had already been in. This Cabal ship is going to be a brand new room.
- It is also quite a big space, from what we know about it, and indicates the type of wild-growing mission we expect from a mission like Whisper or Zero Hour. It also has the building of “you do the assignment first and then unlock the director’s access to it” as we have seen with these assignments before.
- Within the mission, there are a kind of “open hidden caches” mechanics that can develop somewhat faster, which may indicate the search for a catalyst or a ship.
- The enemies on board appear to be both Cabal and Scorn, indicating some sort of conflict there, which will explain the strange appearance of a random Screeb in the season of the chosen trailer.
- There are some indications via upcoming weekly challenges we can get access to the ship itself as soon as week 3, but the exotic quest may not start until week 9. So there may be some story components here that are not just a secret mission, although the secret mission will take place here.
- Tex Mechanica exotic here is Dead Man’s Tale, a new scout rifle, not First Curse as many predicted. I do not know what its exotic benefits are yet. The picture below is the gun with an ornament on it.
To sum up, something pretty big is coming, and it seems very likely to be on the scale of a Zero Hour, past even what we recently saw for the Zero Hour-ish Hawkmoon farm quest. And that will involve Scorn, which we have not really dealt with since Forsaken. Who taught them to fly spaceships?
In any case, I do not regret that I have known the information above, as all it does is make me very happy about what is to come. It is possible we may start to see this ship appear in two weeks, but if not, this will all come later in the season. Watch.
follow me on Twitter, YouTube, Facebook and Instagram. Pick up my sci-fi novels Herokiller series, and The Earth-Born Trilogy, which is also on audiobook.