Apple is facing a lawsuit in Australia after an iPhone X user claimed that the device exploded in his pocket, which led to second-degree burns. As reported by 7 News, the incident happened in 2019, and the man is now taking legal action after Apple allegedly did not answer his questions about the problem.
The report explains:
Researcher Robert De Rose was sitting in the office when he felt pain in his leg and heard a roaring sound coming from his pocket.
“I heard a faint pop sound, followed by dizziness, and then I felt intense pain in my right leg, so I immediately jumped up and realized it was my phone,”; he told 7NEWS.
He pulled his iPhone X from his pocket, which was a little over a year old, to find black smoke coming out of it.
Because of the exploding iPhone X, De Rose says he suffered “second-degree burns” in his thigh. “I had ash everywhere, and my skin had peeled back,” he added 7NEWS. De Rose continues to claim that he contacted Apple several times about the problem, but never received an answer.
De Rose says he is now working with Carbone Lawyers to take legal action against Apple in seeking compensation. The company also represents another man from Melbourne who claims “he was left with a burned wrist after the Apple Watch was overheated.”
An Apple spokesman said 7NEWS that the company takes customer safety seriously and that it investigates the two complaints. The two lawsuits have been filed in the county court.
But as we always say with these types of stories, it’s important to remember that this is just a user, and there are millions of iPhone X and Apple Watch devices in the wild, so there’s no reason to fear that your device also can burn. Such fires are extremely rare, but will occur with all units sold in the tens of millions.
FTC: We use auto affiliate links. More.
Check out 9to5Mac on YouTube for more Apple news: