During the ID @ Xbox Twitch game show, Artisan Studios unveiled the trailer for their latest project: the hand-drawn JRPG Astria Ascending.
Astria rising was developed in collaboration with publisher Dear Villagers and contains contributions from JRPG developers, with a score by Hitoshi Sakimoto (Final Fantasy 12, Vagrant Story), story by Kazushige Nojima (Final Fantasy 10, Final Fantasy 7 Remake), and art from CyDesignation (Akihiko Yoshida and Hideo Minaba).
The game is set in a world where chaos rages, and you find that you take control of the demigods. This crew of eight heroes is charged with the fate of the world. Each character has its own story, explored over five cities, 25 dungeons and 30 to 50 hours of play.
Along with the set turn-based battles, players can try out some side quests and mini-games, including an original fantasy-themed token game.
“In Astria Ascending, we wanted to explore how people cope in extraordinary times,”
“It has been a joy to see this world come together,” added Guillaume Jamet, publisher of Dear Villagers. “And it’s an honor to have so many legends on the team who help – like a childhood dream come true. Astria Ascending is more than a tribute to the classics. It’s the perfect next step in our line of ambitious JRPGs. ”
Here is more about the game:
- Epic stories: Fight for the future while counting on the past; sacrifice everything, give up something. The story of Astria Ascending was partly developed by the author Kazushige Nojima, known for his work on Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy VII Remake.
- Living landscape: Travel the world of Orcanon, a richly imagined and fully animated 2D landscape with five cities and a dynamic weather system.
- Unforgettable characters: Choose from eight customizable player characters that span a variety of fantastic races and skills, and put together a diverse team of heroes.
- Rewarding battle: Work together to save the world, and lead strategic turn-based battles using the innovative focal point system.
- A treat for the ears: With music and SFX from the composer Hitoshi Sakimoto (Final Fantasy XII, Valkyria Chronicles), Astria Ascending is a heart-pounding pleasure to listen to.
The game is coming to PC, Switch, PlayStation 5 and 4, Xbox Series X / S, Xbox One and Game Pass in 2021.